Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I was at George K's house observing via computer

Notes from last Saturday and Sunday morning:

The faac club had a few outings announced, one being at the novi sports park in Northville Mi.

Bit due to a variety of reasons I was the only one to show up at the sports park site. Clouds had threatened and many were bisy with other last minute projects. Trying to salvage some viewing and not waste the trip without some socialized star gazing I gave George a call. George was up but not observing however he mentioned he could be observing in about 2 minutes of I wanted to stop by.

Hours and hours later George was showing me his computer programs and imaging software we were surfing the net, he was imaging and showing me many images as we talked about just about any subject and maybe every subject about astronomy, it's all kind of a blur now.

I wondered at that time how many hours George could stay up? He was energized when on the subject of astronomy and maybe I could have been more energetic but I was out the night before at the lincoln park hector j Robinson observatory until 3 am.

I finally after most of the night made it back home, at about 5:50 am. Jupiter was brightly shining and a I felt re-energized from the drive back and decided to try out the binocular telescope in this planet.

I had so much fun I spent a what seemed to be as hours at the scope. But it was closer to being one hour. Maybe the rem sleep states approaching was changing my perception of time itself, or maybe it was just the view.

Finally
Daylight was taking hold and the sky was lit up still the scope shows great views of the planet.

Jupiter and the sun had risen, Jupiter was far away front the sun was a treat to look at while daylight had arrived. I was really happy to see the performance of the scope. It would be even better had I two sets of televue plossls instead of the set vixen provides with the scope.

The field of view in the binocular telescope is wide enough to easilly keep tracking an object even with a simple mount. A big plus for showing others.

As the sun rose thin clouds seemed to roll in more and more.

The clouds were thin and didn't affect my veiwing much the telescope seemed to look through the thin cloud layer that we had. The clouds were not very thickbut I was still surprised how well the scope performed in marginal conditions. It should be a real treat when looking at the moon.

Photo observing chair and bino telescope below.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment