Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Here's the plan, I'm observing in grosse ile tonight, but I may stop by and open up for a short session around midnight

I know it's not much of a post. Depending on conditions and how things go and also how tired or energized I am, I may open up tonight at the Hector J Robinson observatory.

The conditions will be clear according to the clear sky chart and average transparency. The biggest problem is I'm very tired and may only be observing for a short time tonight. Usually I get energized with observing. The negatives for me observing today is the moon is almost full and I don't have moon filters or polarizing filters so I will be burning out my mint vision much of the time if I focus on the moon. I need to get two polarizing filters for the binocular telescope and forgot to get those for the moon. The moon is so fun to watch in the binocular telescope I could just use the little Vixen scope to just watch the moon and be extremely happy.

One of the hazards of observing during the week is the possibility of losing track of time and missing getting enough sleep. I lost a ton of sleep yesterday. But this was not due to astronomy, rather a sore back that kept waking me up.

I took a peek at Jupiter last night late after getting home, just briefly before the clouds obscured the view. I've been reading about really nice wide field eyepieces and thinking about the advantage they might provide for the binocular telescope. I'm not sure if I need to adjust the telescopes alignment a bit or not, there are settings to adjust it, it could have been eye fatigue. I'll see how it looks tonight.

I also watched a binocular telescope video DVD video by JMI and this video although a typical sales video seemed to be really compelling toward that type of visual experience. I don't know what I would do if I had a chance to look through one of those large binocular telescope monsters? It might not be healthy for ones bank account.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment