Saturday, April 9, 2011

Beginners night tonight at island lake

http://www.boonhill.net/faac/other/observe.html

See link above for the map.

Clear sky chart says it will be clear, but radar shows a lot of clouds tonight.

The clear sky chart is usually correct, but a few times each year it gets the forecast wrong.

If winds were moving clouds quickly we'd have clear skies by 7pm. Or if winds moved the clouds south.

I'm thinking that clear sky chart will be correct and we will have some clearing, but I think the clearing will be later in the night. We will have some demos and sessions for beginners if you arrive early.

My guess is it will be clear at spring mills pond by 10pm which is late and late viewing will be pretty good, but not excellent. A good view in a darker site is almost as good as an excellent view in a very bright site like the observatory site.

Weather and clouds at the observatory typically are an hour or two behind the site that is 50 miles west of us, so I'd expect conditions to not be very good in Lincoln Park early in the evening anyway.

So I'll be going to Island Lake to meet with other club members and visitors this evening.

I'll take a couple of small telescopes but others will likely be bringing larger ones.


Below is the current cloud conditions.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment