Friday, March 25, 2011

Looking at Mercury just after sunset in Allen Park

Currently the planet Mercury is about 20 degrees behind the sun. If you can see the horizon you can see Mercury after the sun sets.

Yesterday this was brought up at the Faac astronomy club meeting. One of the members posted he went out after the meeting and saw Mercury.

Today, I knew it was partly cloudy and cold out but I wanted to venture out and look for the planet. I chose the taco bell parking lot near the mall in Allen park. The mall on the hill between outer drive and Oakwood avenue, near Southfield freeway. The location gave a good view of the setting sun.

As the sun set it looked like the following





After the sun set I saw Mercury above the clouds near the horizon. I could see the part of the disk illuminated by the sun. It was cold out and I rushed to the site and didn't dress up warm enough to be comfortable standing out in the cold wind for long. I was rushing which is not a good thing to do when observing.

I tried to take a photo through the eyepiece but it didn't turn out very well. I thought it registered but was blurry. I took a few wide shots but didn't steady or setup the camera very well. I kind of rushed through it due to the cold weather.

Below is a wide shot from the canon eos camera showing Mercury's position. Mercury was about 12 degrees above the horizon when I took this photo.




As you can see i zoomed in a bit with the camera a bit.

My new Blogpress iPad application software allows more than one photo for a blog entry, so I'm taking advantage of this now with a few photos.

Below is a screen shot of where Mercury was after the sun sat according to an app on the iPad called star walk.




-


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment