Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Not a lot of activity has happened the past few days as official events

I did take out my telescope by the site in a spur of the moment event.

We had a couple of club showings of the observatory. Not announced to people as open events, something I may go into later, but some visitors dropped by for a short tour as well.

The other night I took my own telescope out to compare it with the views of the observatory telescope. This is a large telescope and I viewed near the football field. Near the observatory. It took a while to setup the telescope of course. It's a lot easier and faster to just open up the observatory and not worry about doing all the things you need to do to setup a telescope.

Here's a photo from the other night, with a picture of my telescope near the observatory.

Of course the telescope is much closer to the camera. This is a big telescope, but not as big as the one we us inside.

As you can see this is a Newtonian reflector and has an eyepiece near the front of the tube. It's the same basic design that was housed inside the old observatory. It also is a very old "used" telescope, built back in 1962. This telescope is as old as the big telescope that used to be housed in the observatory. Some day if I have it out there you may get a chance to look through this old telescope.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment