Monday, February 18, 2013

Sunday night I briefly visited HJRO and took some test photos, AVI movies

Conditions were bitter cold conditions.

I tried to take some photos via AVI files and backyard EOS through my canon t1i mounted on the c14.

The photos of Jupiter were not very good. Photos of the moon look okay, but the conditions were not very good out in the sky when I was out, and the sky quickly deteriorated.

The sidewalk and parking lot had a lot of slippery ice which was also dangerous to walk on. I almost fell when walking toward the observatory. With conditions being so bad as far as seeing and cold and slippery, I'm glad I didn't invite visitors out.

Jupiter didn't even look good through a 25mm eyepiece which usually shows a pretty decent image of Jupiter. If conditions were much better for observing I'd probably try to stay out there more and would have put out an announcement post. As things went, I'm glad I didn't post and freeze waiting for visitors. I left after being there for about 40 minutes and clouds moved in at that time ruining further observing opportunities.

Here's a photo generated from Registax and one of the AVI movie files I captured last night.

This shows a slice of the moon. It's a pretty good representation of the detail one probably could see last night. I noticed a lot of jumping around and distortion of the image of the moon when looking through the camera's finder. The image produced here with Registax 6 was better than the still image you would have seen looking through the telescope. This image looks significantly better than the image one might have seen live and more shadow detail is present over more of the moon in this picture than was present in the Live image.

I'd expect to get images four or more times better if the night offered really good viewing last night.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment