Friday, March 19, 2010

What's in a nickname.

Greg Ozimek.  Or Oz as he's called wondered if I had a nickname the other night when we were in the middle of the great hunt for many Messier objects.  Hmm. . . I thought back, what nicknames have I had in the past, especially in Astronomy or club circles that could be used when star gazing with a couple of Greg's.  Other FAAC members call him OZ, which is a good nickname.

I haven't come up with a good name from the past that might be very suitable.  I've been called "video guy" before, when I was doing a lot of video.  But that's not a good nickname.  I could use my middle name, but my middle name is to popular and would match other guys in the club.   Gregory is a longer term, but people might still wonder which Gregory they are addressing if we are both at an event.  I could use an Armenian version of Gregory, but my cousin uses that name and I really don't want to be thought of as Krikor.  

Two many Gregs is usually not a problem at an event, but in our department at work we have five Gregs, which is really unusual.  Maybe I'll need to think a while for a better nickname.  

(And who picks their own nickname. . .? which is another question, perhaps worthy of another blog entry.)

I could use "Watchman" (some name plaques have said Gregory means watchman), but that sounds like a comic book character.  I could use "Scotty" but I'm only 1/8th Scottish and that sounds like a Star Trek character and I don't want to impersonate Scotty from that episode.  Although it would be cool to call up and say to other FAAC members, the Losmandy mount she can't take any more Captain, she's about to break up.

Some other nicknames I've had in the past, actually I can only think of one, won't fit very well in an astronomy group.  I could use "connec"  I've been called "connec" before as in the sound of the abbreviation of the French Connection without the T.  Connec, is what the first part of my last name sounds like.  (with a hard K sound.)  Sometime teachers used to pronounce my last name with the sound of "knee" instead, because my ancestors didn't know how to spell our last name when they came off the boat in New York.  I could be called "knee", but that's a strange nickname.

Hmm. . .  Watchman or Knee or Scotty.  I don't know.

Maybe I should suggest a cool astronomy nickname something like "Magnitude".  But that sounds like a nickname for a girl, "Mag" or "Maggie" or "Magnitude".   Hmm. . . I still don't have a good one.  Maybe a primative one, something like Blog.  That sounds like a good caveman kind of nickname.  It might make a good nickname for a dog as well.  Has anyone named their dog, "blogger"?

Maybe one of the negative tease remarks would work better.  At one time a friend made a joke and called me Popcorn as a slam.  Maybe that would be a good nickname.  After all most everyone likes popcorn.  I'm still too tired to figure out a good Astronomy nickname?

Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment