Monday, December 3, 2012

Jupiter and our moon, in one field of view

The following was taken on 11-28-2012.

This image shows the actual distance between the two objects as they appeared in the wide field of view of the Meade refractor.

We could see these inside the same field of view with a 40mm or 60mm eyepiece.

Because the moon and Jupiter were above and below in their orientation, my Vixen binoculars could not see both fully in the same field of view. Perhaps earlier in the evening I would have seen both in the vixen binoculars. I could only see part of the moon and Jupiter with the vixen binoculars.

This photo was taken actually as two exposures. One was dimmer and showed the moon clearer, the other brighter photograph showed Jupiter but the moon looked overexposed. By layering both photos together in a simple photo processing application, like Filterstorm for iPad I was able to easily put both together and make it look more like our eye would see them.

We could see a few moons of Jupiter while looking through the eyepiece at both, but I don't think that's visible in this photo.

I sharpened the photo a bit in Filterstorm for iPad as well.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment