Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ever wonder if the observatory is open.

Observatory hotline: 313-444-5850

The above number rings the observatory phone and a couple of phones to volunteers who open up the observatory.

Last week we were open, but I only opened for a couple hours and wanted to focus on getting some photos taken. I invited some of the Faac club regulars but didn't spend the time to announce the observatory as being open as it was a last minute decision to open up.

If it's clear out and we are at the observatory we will answer the phone.

If you call ahead I may be able to tell you if we will be open, but I can't always know for certain with Michigan weather.

As for this weekend which is half over I was unable to open up Saturday afternoon for e brief hours of sunlight we had.

According to the clear sky chart tonic and tomorrow will be cloudy, so we won't be open. Forecasts predict rain, so it's unlikely we will have clear skies. The clear sky chart is actually blank for Sunday night. I'm not sure why it's actually not predicting any weather at all. If it's clear Sunday night we might be open.

I can say if we are open Monday evening it will be for a scout troop and it's still dependent on the forecasts. Right now it doesn't look good for another Monday. Maybe our third Monday night cancellation due to poor weather.

Also we may be open for middle school children Wednesday and Thrusday, all day long, for solar astronomy, but the priority will be with the school children and we probably won't have time Wednesday or Thrusday for any visitors.

So from what I can gather, although we may be open chances are most nights and days for the next six days we will be closed to the public.

I'll try to post more when I know more. . . The weather plays a big factor in this and I have other family things at times that keep me away from the observatory.

During the past week I tried to get a good photo of Jupiter to process, with little success. I did get a photo of e moon and Jupiter in one field of view when they were close to each other. I still have to review that photo.

Greg


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment