Monday, November 11, 2013

Will attempt to open up HJRO by 5:45am Tuesday morning to observe and photograph comet Ison.

Comet Ison will be in the morning skies this cold Tuesday morning and in theory will be visible from a good eastern horizon view.

Perhaps with binoculars and a small telescope most anyone will be able to find the comet. It will be about half way between Mars and the horizon at 5:30am.

It will be cold out this morning. I will try to view the comet at HJRO.

It won't be very visible from HJRO until it's risen about 18 degrees or further which would mean the comet wpnt be visible until nearly 6am for The observatory's large c14. We may be able to see it with the Meade refractor as well a little bit before 6am.

The sun rises around 7am so sky glow will start when the comet becomes more visible to the telescopes inside. (The sun starts to brighten the sky for an hour before it rises.)

Here is a chart showing Ison and it's position at 6am on Tuesday morning.











Clear sky chart shows that it should be clear this morning.

Unfortunately it snowed around here and the weather will be cold out.

- In planning for Tuesday morning.
There are a couple of ways I could try to view the comet. I could try to view it from HJRO later in the morning around 6am or find a location near with a better eastern horizon. . . Perhaps somewhere near the river.

I'm leaning toward going to HJRO because I won't have to setup a telescope in a cold environment and can turn on the heater inside HJRO, if it gets to cold after observing. I also have a better chance of getting a photo from the telescope by opening up at HJRO. Around here I'm not sure a good low eastern horizon can be found to allow me to view from both locations.

I like to see it through a big telescope, but if I headed down to Ecorse to setup my large ten inch newtonian("Big Bertha"); I would not have time to take down the telescope and travel to HJRO and view the comet. I think I should shoot for HJRO tomorrow morning and any other viewing from other locations will be optional.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment