Monday, May 13, 2013

I went out to HJRO late tonight to take a quick look at Saturn and took a movie of it and processed it, at about 2AM


I've been very busy at home lately and unable to plan and set aside a long block of time for visitors.  I watched the Red Wings today for a couple of periods.  Also decided to make a quick late night trip to the observatory and try to get a better photo of Saturn.  Saturn looked really sharp but not as good as it did the other night.  There was actually quite a bit of moderately average seeing conditions.  Not horrible, but not good.  This movie taken can be processed to not show the seeing issues.  This gives a pretty good representation of what I could see in the eyepiece.  But my view was less powerful and the Cassini division was pretty dark and didn't stand out with a kind of shadow effect that we see here.  I could see some gradient banding detail visually, but my contrast wasn't as good as we see here in the processed image.   Also I could see the ring and some color differences in different parts of the ring for a while.  This using a 15mm eyepiece on the C14 in it's native 3911mm configuration.  I sent out a message to a few FAAC members who might be up and wondering if anything was happening.

Image of Saturn:  Photo was created using Registax 6 from a 1000 frame movie.  Best 100 frames selected.

I probably over processed this a bit with a little bit to much wavelet settings.  I used Linked wavelets on the first four out of six layers.  Turning off the last layer in Registax 6.   Saturn did look wonderful.  This movie was taken at 3911mm with the T1i and 5x digital zoom using BACKYARD EOS.   The shot was taken at 1600 iso, I don't have the exposure setting handy, but I can look it up if someone is interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment