Friday, November 4, 2011

Jupiter near opposition looks good when the sky is favorable

In the last week Jupiter was at opposition, closest to the earth and opposite the sun. During on clear night a couple of other members of the Faac club and I looked at Jupiter. The view was one of the nicest I've seen all year.

I could see 8 or 9 bands and fine gradients in color in the planet.

The attached photo was taken with my Canon t1i. A single exposure through a 25mm eyepiece. The detail looked better to our eyes than this photo shows.

I was actually out late at night a few nights last week. Unannounced as I got out there late. There was a lot of humidity and the air was cold and dqmot a couple of the nights, but the views were worth it.

I felt a bit of cold in my old bones, and that chill drove me out of a couple of the observing sessions with temperatures in the high 30s. That cold damp weather requires serious warm clothing and I found a good winter coat, layers and long underwear helped a lot.

We turned on the IR heater during part of our last observing session, and that helped take some of the chill off. Wooden floors help some.

It was cloudy and hazy out tonight. I have not looked at the sky as I type this very late at night tonight. I really don't want to go out tonight or be tempted with a great view. I'm resting up a bit. I kind of tweaked my neck looming up to high through an eyepiece and have been resting a bit hoping the pain will decrease.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment