Sunday, June 5, 2011

Did a little bit of sidewalk astronomy at Old Chicago Pizza

Tonight I went by a local restaurant and setup my binocular telescope to view the moon and show anyone who happened by the moon. About 20 people stopped for a moment to look at the moon.

Everyone seemed pleased. Then after running an errand I decided to see how bad the skies were at the observatory. Keep in mind the weather forecast was saying it would rain tonight and I expected clouds. I didn't announce the observatory was open because I expected poor visibility and possible clouds. I put a last minute post on the Faac user group that I would take a look at the sky from HJRO and updated a few with sone test shots I took of Saturn with my iPhone looking through the eyepiece.

You can't get really good shots of a planet with an iPhone, but I like to toy around with it sometimes to see what I can get. Here's a sample photo below from the iPhone.

Saturn through the c14 using a 15mm eyepiece, iPhone at the eyepiece.
I also shot some with an 8mm eyepiece and also uses a Barlow for sone shots. The weather was clear enough for visual and 15mm eyepiece views bit much more didn't reveal better images, just larger fuzzy images with no additional detail.

Good viewing at lower powers could see Cassini division with 25mm and 15mm eyepieces.

There was some marginal seeing at times with warm air currents. Some stars twinkled which is not a good sign for astro imagers.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment